Nigel Stote

 Restoration

Summer 2021

 

Photo S01 is from the eBay ad when I bought the bike.

S01

The parts were sat there like a house of cards, just put in place. There were probably only 15-20% of the fasteners there.  

SO2 is a good summary of the general condition and cleanliness!

S02

 

I spent the first 2 months dismantling down to the last nut and bolt. It was then a case of working out what was missing. All the powder coating, zinc plating and chrome plating has now been done well nearly all. Later I may well get the silencers refurbished, but they are more than good enough to get the bike running. I also found that the price of chrome plating made it more economical to buy new parts for items like instrument cups and the headlight rim.

 

The wheels and hubs have been vapour blasted and the crankcases and carburettors have now been done too.

The clocks have been re built and the console reassembled, ready to fit. 

As you can see from photos B01-B03 the basic rolling chassis is now back together. I have used stainless fasteners throughout the build, aside from a few re-plated originals.

B01

 

B02

 

B03

My next stage is to start paint spraying engine cases, airbox panels and all the bodywork is on the list.  

The colour on the logbook is blue, but Ill be painting it red, just like the one I had as a 17-year-old!

Update November 2021

By August I had fitted the bars, switches, refurbed clocks, loom, lights and battery and commissioned all of the electrical functions. Save for some repairs to the inside of the LH handlebar switch it all worked first time amazing! 

I had previously checked and cleaned all of the connectors on the loom and re-wrapped where a lot of the old black sheath had cracked and fallen away.

The master cylinder and caliper were refurbished with new parts and seals refitted and bled.

The airbox was refitted, covers sprayed up and added. The air cleaner cleaned up really well with a dip in evapo-rust, which has helped restore quite a lot of the parts prior to refinishing. 

As for the engine - the crank had been refurbished, the barrels re-bored and new pistons ready to go in. I also had the carbs and engine cases vapour blasted and had cleaned up the barrels, head and engine covers before coating with metallic grey XHT paint close enough to the original colour for me. So carefully and using the excellent Suzuki workshop manual I reassembled the gearbox, crank and got the cases back together, then fitted pistons and barrels.

 

Photo P01 shows assembly with one barrel fitted.

P01

I added the clutch basket and magneto before getting help from a neighbour to fit the engine. He is working on a series 1 Landrover and was amazed when the engine dropped into place with a few soft blows from a rubber mallet and the engine mounting bolts just pushed into place the Landrover requires more persuasion with a hammer to get things to line up!  

Photo P02 is the engine back in the frame.

 P02

Now the rest of the engine parts clutch, oil pump etc. have been fitted, the carbs are reassembled and fitted too

 

P03 is them sat on the bench ready to go.

P03

 

Then for the first kick no sparks! I rechecked all of the magneto and coil resistances (all OK) and had previously fitted new plug caps, suspicion fell on the CDI. Using the figures from the Suzuki manual I checked the resistances on the unit some were open-circuit that shouldnt be. Rather than risk an old second-hand unit I have ordered a pattern part from Rexs Speed Shop, which has arrived and awaits fitting.

During the summer I had also sprayed up the plastics, using rattle cans, applied the decal to the tail piece and then lacquered all the parts.

 

P04 is after colour painting and flatting back, ready for decals and lacquer.

P04

 

I also prepped the tank for painting, using 2 cans of fill primer, but not trusting that I could get a satisfactory finish myself had that sprayed at a local car spray shop. That done I added the decals and it is back with them for 2K lacquering.

 

P05 - sat in the garage awaiting the new CDI and then ready for starting fingers crossed.

P05

So on the home straight now, just need to get her running and tuned up. Ill take off the pipes and get them refinished over winter then come the spring get an MOT as a classic vehicle its not needed, but it does give piece of mind that Ive got everything right.

 

Nigel

Romsey, Hampshire 

 

 

 

 

Restorations Front Page