chris parkin's Restoration
I bought this bike a couple of months back already stripped and with some NOS.
The engine succumbed to my charms earlier today and now looks like this.
One gearbox bearing was a little tired (fook'd)
Gazlad helped out massively with some more NOs and
other desirable bits. Like these luvverly carbs
Then it's time to sift through the boxes and boxes of
stuff and pick out the really good bits.
I've never been shagged as well as this before!
After the euphoria of getting my cases and bits back disaster strikes!
As I'm scuppered with the bearing problem till the new
one comes through I tackled the casings.
The clutch side was in better nick so I gave it a
light sanding which revealed a kickstart bruise and a slight scratch which
I filled with chemical metal.
2 hours later and they look like bits of Airfix kit (I
really love it when they are like this). Off to Halfords to match some
topcoat in the morning. (Yes I know I left the oil seal in I'll drift it
out once the paint is dry cos its easier than masking it)
Then I went and made a bollox of it by putting it in the oven too soon and getting a reaction. AAARGH . Note to self :must learn patience
After yesterdays triumphs I had brekkie at Squires
with Nobby, Gary Jay, Phil and Hazel picked up my 31K and decided I'd make
a jig for my engine.
Ok now this is getting silly
Off to my mates workshop this morning armed with
Aluminium Solder and the new, too big, bush.
Phew it was round! But why didn't the bearing fit?
Next we melted the aluminium solder on to the damaged surface of the casing.
Here's the casing being machined. You can see the boss in place below the engine and another piece of engineers plastic being used to clamp it securely through the crankshaft space.
So now the engineering bit is over and the engine
build can begin. The phosphor bronze bush now fits as the cases were
machined to fit perfectly.
Well things are moving along niceley so I thought I'd
get to grips with the paint I'd wrecked earlier. A morning with the with
the Nitromors and wire brushes saw covers transformed.
It's Halfords own brand Rover Gunmetal Metallic Grey, three coats of Grey Primer then about 5 of topcoat No code on the tin. Not laquered but it's a really nice finish, I'm well chuffed
Got my shiny bits back from Shag at Stafford WOW
Sent my zorts away with the front mudguard for chrome
stripping so I can weld and lanish any imperfections before re-chroming.
Gonna spend some time making a wish list this afti cos I suspect there's more missing than I first thought
More cheering up was required so I put the inlet manifolds on and the rubber damper thingys on the barrel fins.
Snagged myself another garage day
Cleaned up some threads then I just had to start doing the dry assembly.
Then while the Mrs was out I cooked something up in the kitchen.
Then I just had to make a start on the clocks using luvverly NOS
A little more progress today. Decided to try and sort out the wobbly ignition key plate. so I carefully bent back the retaining tabs on the back de-soldered the black wire and delved into the internals only to find it's rivetted so you cant get at it without knackering the lock. To quote Haynes "master of mystery". Re-assembly is the reverse of dis-assembly. Ah well
So turned the attention to the bits which need work before chrome. Gave them a light sanding and then a dust coat of some dark grey paint. Once this had dried I got the sanding block out and revealed where all the dings are. Next step is to braze these up and file and lanish them down. Gonna try to tap the ones on the mudguard gently back into the right place.
Next thing I know there's an aid parcel for me from
Crank is expected back this week so I can concentrate on finishing the motor before bubble wrapping it and putting it under the bench for later.
More "shineys" arrived from Shag so I got back at it
in the garage this morning.
Crankcases went back together well with lovely newly zinced bolts.
Clutch basket and plates fitted and then.....
Nowhere in the Suzuki or Haynes manuals is there
instruction on how to get the bleeding springs back through the top plate
so that those dumb fiddly pins can go back into place.
So I looped some electrical wire through the springs
and fed them through the holes pulled them with pliers and snap! Same
So this evening I made a little hook thingy and holding the pins with some long nosed mole grips I sorted the little buggers
So I checked the gears were working and when turning it by hand I can hear the kick start ratchet clicking. I do hope I don't have to split the cases again. Another distress flag sent to Gazlad
So now it's time to get the pistons back in. I use an
old "cheat" to hold the rings in position.
And then I get carried away with all the other little bits and pieces and end up with the engine mocked up
Restorations Front Page